The Distinguished Latino Alumni Award, presented annually in recognition of outstanding achievement, is the most coveted honor bestowed by the Latino Alumni Association. The award provides recognition of outstanding achievement by Latino alumni of Indiana University.
Distinguished Latino Alumni Award
Recipients of the Distinguished Latino Alumni Award
The IU Latino Alumni Association has also awarded one Distinguished Latino Faculty Award, to Luis Davila in 2008.
Distinguished Latino Alumni Award criteria
The purpose of the Distinguished Latino Alumni Award is to provide recognition for outstanding achievements by the Latino men and Latina women of Indiana University. The recipient must be present to receive the award. If the recipient cannot be present, the award will go to the alternate.
The award shall consist of a plaque. Unless otherwise determined, the award shall be given at a Latino Alumni banquet during the Fall Latino Alumni Reunion Weekend or an approved alternate function. The recipients shall be announced shortly before that date.
- Eligibility for Award
- Only living alumni of Indiana University are eligible. For purposes of definition, an alum is any person who shall have graduated from any of the schools or campuses of Indiana University.
- The nominee shall have been outstanding in his/her chosen field of endeavor.
- The nominee shall have made significant contributions benefiting his/her community, state, nation, or university.
- Nominations may be submitted by:
- Any school of Indiana University
- Any alum of Indiana University
- Any faculty or staff member of Indiana University.
- All nominations must be typed and accompanied by a brief rationale for nomination and current contact information.
- Nominations must be submitted by midnight, Aug. 30.
- Any questions or to request a non-electronic nomination form, please contact the Latino Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-824-3044.
- If submitting a hard-copy nomination form, it must be accompanied by a formal letter of nomination and placed in a sealed envelope and postmarked no later than midnight on Aug. 30, to: IULAA, 1000 E. 17th St., Bloomington, IN 47408.
- All nominations for the award will automatically be continued in force for the following four successive years. After that they must be resubmitted.
- Selection of Recipients
- The Latino Alumni Awards Committee shall be composed of three Latino alumni members of Indiana University, one of which shall be a dues-paying member and two faculty and/or staff members of Indiana University. The membership of the committee shall remain anonymous, but no members of the Executive Council of the Indiana University Latino Alumni Association shall be eligible for membership.
- It shall be the duty of the Latino Alumni Awards Committee to make final selection of those to receive the award. The Latino Alumni Association strongly suggests the awards be made to individuals in as many fields of endeavor as possible (education, law, medicine, business, science, music, etc.).
- The dues-paying alumni member of the Latino Alumni Awards Committee shall be appointed by the president of the Indiana University Latino Alumni Association and a designate from the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs shall appoint the members representing the university. The committee shall solely elect the committee chair.
- Each member of the committee shall serve a minimum term of one to a maximum of five years.